The journey my daughter Cathy has had with her swimming is as long as it is beautiful.
Cathy suffered some terrible 16 illness in her early childhood. After years of regular treatment, she 17 finally became healthy.
16. A. failure B. pressure C. loss D. illness
17. A. usually B. finally C. firstly D. frequently
Two years ago, while Cathy was watching the Olympics, a dream came into her sweet little head to be a swimmer. Last summer, she wanted to 18 join our local swim team. She practiced hard and finally 19 made it.
18. A. improve B. train C. join D. contact
19. A. increased B. found C. created D. made
The team practice, 20 however, was a rough start. She coughed and choked and could hardly 21 survive her first few weeks. Hearing her coughing bitterly one night, I decided to 22 pull her from it all. But Cathy woke me up early next morning, wearing her swimsuit 23 ready to go! I told her she shouldn’t swim after a whole night’s coughing, but she refused to 24 give up and insisted she go .
20. A. however B. therefore C. otherwise D. instead
21. A. use B. survive C. save D. waste
22. A. pull B. tell C. hide D. fire
23. A. afraid B. nervous C. ready D. free
24. A. take off B. set off C. give up D. show up
From that day on, Cathy kept swimming and didn’t 25 miss a single practice. She had a 26 firm intention within herself to be the best she could be. My ten—year—old was growing and changing right before my eyes, into this 27 determined human being with a passion and a mission. There were moments of 28 frustration of course: often she would be the last swimmer in the race. It was difficult for Cathy to accept that she wasn’t a 29 winner ever. But that didn’t stop her from trying.
25. A. attend B. miss C. ban D. Start
26. A. rich B. weak C. firm D. kind
27. A. trusted B.determined C.experienced D. embarrassed
28. A. frustration B. delight C. excitement D. surprise
29. A. beginner B.learner C. partner D. winner
Then came the final awards ceremony at the end of the year. Cathy didn’t expect any award but was still there to 30 cheer on her friends and praise their accomplishments. As the ceremony was nearing the end, I suddenly heard the head coach 31 announcing , “The highest honor goes to Cathy!” Looking around, he continued, “Cathy has inspired us with her 32 will and enthusiasm. 33 Although skills and talents bring great success, the most valuable asset(财富)one can hold is the heart.”
30. A. cheer on B. compete with C. respond to D. run after
31. A. admitting B.explaining C.announcing D. whispering
32. A. humor B. will C. honesty D. wisdom
33. A. Although B. Since C. Once D. Because
It was the greatest 34 moment of my daughter’s life. With all she had been 35 through in her ten years, this was the hour of true triumph(成功).
34. A. discovery B. choice C. influence D. moment
35. A. through B. under C. across D. around