My fiance (未婚夫) and I were excited about shopping for our first home. But our funds were 16 limited, and none of the houses in our price range seemed satisfactory.
One agent 17 recommended a house in particular. Although her description sounded wonderful, the price was 18 beyond our range, so we declined. But she kept urging us to have a look 19 at least .
16. A. needed B. limited C. enough D. large
17. A. recommended B. decorated C. sold D. rented
18. A. below B. within C. beyond D. between
19. A. at least B. at most C. at times D. at hand
We finally did and it was 20 love at first sight. It was Our Home, small and charming, overlooking a quiet lake. Walking through the rooms and talking with the owners, a nice elderly couple, we felt the warmth and 21 happiness of the marriage within that home. As perfect as it was, the price remained too high for us. But every day, we would sit by the lake, looking at the house and dreaming of 22 what it would be like to live there.
20. A. relief B. concern C. love D. curiosity
21. A. pride B. happiness C. challenge D. desire
22. A. which B. why C. that D. what
Days later, we made a(n) 23 offer far below the asking price. Surprisingly, they didn’t 24 laugh at us. They renewed their offer 25 instead . It was also much more than we could afford, but far 26 less than the original asking price.
23. A. effort B. offer C. promise D. profit
24. A. come across B. look after C. depend on D. laugh at
25. A. instead B. indeed C. aside D. apart
26. A. worse B. better C. less D. higher
The next day, we got a 27 disappointing message that another buyer had offered a much higher price. Even so, we decided to talk with the 28 owners directly. We made our final offer, which 29 still was thousands of dollars less than the other buyer’s bid. We knew it, 30 but we had to try.
27. A. relaxing B. disappointing C. pleasant D. regular
28. A. agents B. buyers C. managers D. owners
29. A. already B. still C. generally D. ever
30. A. so B. or C. for D. but
“Sold!” said the owner. Then he 31 explained: He’d seen us sitting by the lake all those times; he knew how much we loved the place and that we’d 32 appreciate the years of work they had put into their home; he realized he would take a 33 loss by selling it to us, but it was worthwhile; we were the people they wanted to live there. He told us to consider the 34 difference in the price “an early wedding present.”
31. A. apologized B. complained C. criticized D. explained
32. A. check B. analyze C. appreciate D. ignore
33. A. loss B. risk C. chance D. lead
34. A. increase B. difference C. interest D. average
That’s how we found our home and how I learned that when people are 35 kind they are not strangers, only friends we haven’t yet met.
35. A. kind B. polite C. smart D. energetic
16. B 17. A 18. C 19. A 20. C 21. B 22. D 23. B 24. D 25. A
26. C 27. B 28. D 29. B 30. D 31. D 32. C 33. A 34. B 35. A