Years ago, a critical event occurred in my life that would change it forever. I met Kurt Kampmeir of Success Motivation Incorporation for breakfast. While we were 36 eating, Kurt asked me, “ John, what is your 37 plan for personal growth?
36. A. working B. preparing C. thinking D. eating
37. A. suggestion B. demand C. plan D. request
Never at a loss for words, I tried to find things in my life that might 38 qualify for growth. I told him about the many activities in which I was 39 involved . And I went into a 40 speech about how hard I worked and the gains I was making. I must have talked for ten minutes. Kurt 41 listened patiently, but then he 42 finally smiled and said, “You don’t have a personal plan for growth, do you?”
“No, I 43 admitted .
“You know,” Kurt said simply, “growth is not a(n) 44 automatic process.”
38. A. appeal B. look C. call D. qualify
39. A. involved B. trapped C. lost D. bathed
40. A. lecture B. speech C. discussion D. debate
41. A. calculated B. listened C. drank D. explained
42. A. eagerly B. gradually C. gratefully D. finally
43. A. admitted B. interrupted C. apologized D. complained
44. A. automatic B. slow C. independent D. changing
And that’s when it 45 hit me. I wasn’t doing anything 46 on purpose to make myself better. And at that moment, I made the 47 decision: I will develop and follow a personal growth plan for my 48 life .
45. A. confused B. informed C. pleased D. hit
46. A. on loan B. on purpose C. on sale D. on balance
47. A. comment B. announcement C. decision D. arrangement
48. A. life B. progress C. performance D. investment
That night, I talked to my wife about my 49 conversation with Kurt and what I had learned. I 50 showed her the workbook and tapes Kurt was selling. We 51 recognized that Kurt wasn’t just trying to make a sale. He was offering a 52 way for us to change our lives and achieve our dreams.
49. A. contract B. conversation C. negotiation D. argument
50. A. lent B. sold C. showed D. offered
51. A. recalled B. defined C. recognized D. declared
52. A. tool B. method C. way D. rule
Several important things happened that day. First, we decided to 53 buy the resources. But more importantly, we made a commitment to 54 grow together as a couple. From that day on, we learned together, traveled together, and sacrificed together. It was a 55 wise decision. While too many couples grow apart, we were growing together.
53. A. provide B. buy C. give D. deliver
54. A. grow B. survive C. move D. gather
55. A. difficult B. random C. firm D. wise