I was required to read one of Bernie Siegel’s books in college and was hooked on his positivity from that moment on. The stories of his unconventional 36 ideas and the exceptional patients he wrote about were so 37 amazing to me and had such a big 38 impact on how I saw life from then on. Who knew that so many years later I would look to Dr. Bernie and his CDs again to 39 get through my own cancer experience?
36. A. tastes B. ideas C. notes D. memories
37. A. amazing B. shocking C. amusing D. strange
38. A. strike B. push C. challenge D. impact
39. A. learn from B. go over C. get through D. refer to
I’m an ambitious 40 writer, and when I started going through chemo (化疗) , even though I’m a very 41 positive person, I lost my drive to write. I was just too tired and not in the 42 mood . One day, while waiting to go in for 43 treatment , I had one of Dr. Bernie’s books in my hand. Another patient 44 noticed what I was reading and struck up a conversation with me 45 because he had one of his books with him as well. It 46 turned out that among other things, he was an eighty-year-old writer. He was 47 actually a published author, and he was currently 48 working on a new book.
40. A. reader B. writer C. editor D. doctor
41. A. positive B. agreeable C. humorous D. honest
42. A. mood B. position C. state D. way
43. A. advice B. reference C. protection D. treatment
44. A. viewed B. knew C. noticed D. wondered
45. A. while B. because C. although D. providing
46. A. came out B. worked out C. proved out D. turned out
47. A. naturally B. merely C. hopefully D. actually
48. A. deciding B. investing C. working D. relying
We would see each other at various times and 49 became friends. Sometimes he wore a duck hat, and I would tell myself, he was definitely a(n) 50 fan of Dr. Bernie. He really put a 51 smile on my face.
49. A. became B. helped C. missed D. visited
50. A. patient B. operator C. fan D. publisher
51. A. sign B. smile C. mark D. mask
He unfortunately 52 passed away last year due to his cancer, 53 but he left a deep impression on me and gave me the 54 inspiration to pick up my pen again. I 55 thought to myself, “If he can do it, then so can I.”
52. A. showed up B. set off C. fell down D. passed away
53. A. since B. but C. so D. for
54. A. guidance B. trust C. opportunity D. inspiration
55. A. promised B. swore C. thought D. replied