2. would rather do sth: 宁愿做某事
During the war, my husband was stationed at an army camp in a desert in California. I went to live there in order to be 21 him. I hated the place .I had never 22 been so unhappy . My husband was ordered out on a long-term duty, and I was left in a tiny shack(棚屋) alone.
21. A. off B. behind C. near D. beyond
22. A. before B. already C. then D. still
The heat was 23 -almost 125 0F even in the shade of a cactus(仙人掌)。 24 a soul to talk to . The wind blew non-stop ,and all the food I ate ,and the very air I breathed, were 25 with sand , sand , sand !
23. A. inflexible B. incomprehensible C. uncontrollable D. unbearable
24. A. Only B. Not C. Many D. Such
25. A. covered B. filled C. buried D. charged
I was so sorry for myself that I wrote to my parents. I told them I was 26 and coming back home. I said I couldn’t stand it one minute longer. I 27 be in prison! My father answered my 28 with just two lines-two lines that will always sing in my 29 - two lines that completely changed my life :
Two men looked out from prison bars
One saw the mud ,the other saw the stars
我为自己感到非常难过，我就给我的父母写了封信。我告诉他们我26 并且要回家了。我说我一分钟都忍受不了啦。我27 呆在监狱里！我父亲对我的28 的回复只有两行字---两行一直在我的29 里回响的字---两行彻底地改变了我的人生的字。
26. A. catching up B. keeping up C. giving up D. getting up
27. A. ought to B. might well C. would rather D. had better
28. A. request B. call C. question D. letter
29. A. comparison B. imagination C. consideration D. memory
I read those two lines 30 . I was ashamed of myself. I made up my mind I would find out what was good in my present 31 ; I would look for the stars。
我30 读那两行字。我为自己感到惭愧。我下定决心我要找到我现在31 的美好的东西。我要寻找属于我的繁星。
30. A. over and over B. by and by C. up and down D. now and then
31. A. company B. occupation C. situation D. relationship
I made friends with the natives, and their 32 amazed me. They gave me presents of their favorite artworks which they had 33 to sell to tourists . I studied the delightful forms of the cactus .I watched for the desert sunsets,and 34 for seashells that had been left there millions of years ago when the desert had been an ocean 35 .
我和当地人交朋友，他们的32 让我吃惊。他们把他们最喜爱的艺术品送给我当礼物，这些艺术品是他们33 卖给游客的。我学习仙人掌可爱的形状。我等待沙漠里的日落，和34 贝壳，这些贝壳已经在那里几百万年了，那时这片沙漠还是一片海床。
32. A. movement B. reaction C. guidance D. purpose
33. A. refused B. failed C. managed D. happened
34. A. asked B. hunted C. waited D. headed
35. A. floor B. surface C. rock D. level
What brought about this 36 change in me ? The desert hadn’t changed , 37 I had .I had changed my 38 . And by doing so ,I changed an unhappy experience into the most amazing 39 of my life . I was excited by this new world that I had discovered。I had looked out of my self-created prison and 40 the stars.
是什么让我有了36 的改变？沙漠没有变，37 我变了。我改变了我的38. 通过这样做，我把一次不愉快的经历变成了我人生中最了不起的39.对于我发现的这个新世界，我感到非常兴奋。从我自建的监狱里向外看，我40属于我的繁星。
36. A. shocking B. challenging C. puzzling D. astonishing
37. A. as B. but C. for D. or
38. A. attitude B. principle C. identity D. standard
39. A. vacation B. operation C. affair D. adventure
40. A. sought B. counted C. found D. reached