1. Ancient：古代的; 古老的;
2. Custom：习惯，惯例; 习俗。海关，关税;
3. Symbol: 象征; 标志; 符号; 记号
4. Threshold: ; 门槛; 临界值; 开端
5. Protection: 保护; 防护; 保护作用;
Food and Superstitions
1. The ancient Egyptians thought onions kept evil spirits away. When they took an oath, they placed one hand on an onion.
2. The custom of throwing rice at weddings goes back to the time when people thought rice, a symbol of health and prosperity.
3. In Hungary, salt is thrown on the threshold of a new house because it is thought that salt will protect the inhabitants from evil.
4. Europeans who believed in vampires sprinkled mustard seed on the roof of their homes to keep them away.
5. For many years, Europeans have used garlic as a charm against the evil. Some wore bulbs of garlic around their necks. Others placed wreaths of garlic over their doors for protection.